AKHTAR N JANJUA

Allah created humans from a male and a female and made into tribes and nations for identification. However the most righteous is the most honoured. No Arab has any superiority over a non-Arab nor is a White any way better than a Black. All created beings are the decendants of Adam and existence of Adam sprang from dust. hence all claims to superiority and greatness, all demands for blood or ransom and all false traits or trends of rule are false.

Breaking

Sunday, June 30, 2024

A Rainbow in My Cloud



Someone once said, “Each person who delivers kindness stays with us forever.” This post of mine echoes that theme.


Friends, one of the comments on my last blog, "Essence of Being Truly Alive," was profoundly nostalgic and transported me back five decades in time.

At the Pakistan Military Academy, just a week before Passing Out, I was caught by the Duty Officer returning to campus around 2 a.m. after an unauthorized outing. The next day, as I was about to sign my final report, my Platoon Commander looked up and asked, "Were you checked last night?" "Yes, sir," I replied. He then said, "You shall not sign your report. Your case is under consideration. You may be withdrawn or relegated. I shall let you know."

I was crestfallen but continued with my duties, practicing for the ceremonial parade and attending to other necessary tasks. There was no further communication between the Platoon Commander and me.

Then came the night when we were to become juniors (a long-standing tradition) and were at the disposal of our juniors for whatever way they wanted to rag us. Past midnight, a gentleman from the third term took me to his room and said, "Sir, why are you enduring all this ragging when you don't even know what might become of you?"

Early in the morning, the Platoon Commander wanted me to see him in his office, but I was nowhere to be found. My friends mounted a frantic search and tracked me down. I hurriedly got ready and rushed to the office compound, barging straight in. The gentleman looked up and said, "Is this the way to come into the Platoon Commander's office? Go out and ask for permission to come in." I did.

The immediate question was, "ARE YOU GETTING COMMISSION?" (I remember every word spoken in that meeting). I said, "I don't know, sir. You said you would let me know." All hell broke loose. "You are one of the most indifferent men I have ever come across. Your life, career, everything you aspired for is at stake, and you didn't even bother to check back. You don't know how I convinced the Duty Officer to shelve the report of your offence. You also don't understand how we identify ourselves with our students, how we work, wish, and long for your success.

This was all done with the purpose of teaching you that the VIOLATION OF DISCIPLINE CAN GET YOU KILLED.

Hope you didn't inform your family.
Today is off for you.
Prepare to receive your family and participate in the Passing Out Parade tomorrow. GOOD LUCK."

I graduated, went my way, and he went his. We both did the very best we could in the best profession there is—the profession of arms.

I cannot say whether I truly learned the lesson, but what I have learned, seen, done, or been doing for the last five decades is that his love and kindness stand out as a prime factor. Truly, he was a rainbow in my cloud.

I have been writing and talking for a long time and have received sweet, sour, rave, embarrassing, and reinvigorating reviews. My Platoon Commander's (I never knew that he still was following and looking after me) following lines elevate me and my views to the celestial sphere:

"I am a keen follower of your posts. I am proud of your achievements as an intellectual. May you progress in your intellectual pursuits. When you visit Lahore, give me a chance to meet you. Thanks."

Profound gratitude and best wishes for perpetual Divine Grace for my Rainbow ...




AKHTAR N JANJUA

No comments: