AKHTAR N JANJUA

Allah created humans from a male and a female and made into tribes and nations for identification. However the most righteous is the most honoured. No Arab has any superiority over a non-Arab nor is a White any way better than a Black. All created beings are the decendants of Adam and existence of Adam sprang from dust. hence all claims to superiority and greatness, all demands for blood or ransom and all false traits or trends of rule are false.

Breaking

Monday, July 1, 2024

Empathy: The Gift That Connects Us All


My last post garnered a beautiful comment from the highly respected and affectionate elder, Gen Faiz Jilani:

“Nice sharing indeed. Empathy is an essential aspect of accomplished leadership. Pray you would keep on passing through your conduct.”

Inspired by his words, the theme I have chosen for this blog is ‘Empathy,’ particularly reflected in the following statement:

“The great gift of human beings is that we have the power of empathy; we can all sense a mysterious connection to each other.”

Friends, in 2003, I was posted at GHQ AG’s Branch as a Director responsible for induction in the Pak Army. In early 2004, a Major joined as a grade-2 staff officer. An infantry officer and graduate of C&SC, he had been superseded in the original board and two subsequent reviews, finally marked as UNFIT. Despite this, the gentleman had a pleasant demeanor, was untiring, and always stepped up to shoulder responsibilities. He ran from one recruiting office to another throughout Pakistan for quality checks, inspections, and supervision, never showing fatigue or uttering a word of complaint.

I wondered how such an officer had not been promoted. One day, I called him in and asked what had caused his supersession. He initially said, "Sir, let's forget," but I insisted. The gist of his story was this: In 1993, while serving in a war zone (Northern Areas), he was selected for SC. As it was mandatory to attend the Mid Career Course (MCC) as a prelude to SC, he joined the Infantry School for MCC. His ACR grade for 1992 in the war zone was "Well Above Average."

After MCC, he joined SC. During the course year in September, he was asked by the MS Branch to get his Interim Report initiated from his war zone unit. He complied, but the report came back as "Low Average" and labeled him with cowardice and command failure. Shocked, he represented his case, but it was not upheld, resulting in his being marked for review, review, and eventually unfit.

I was convinced something was wrong. His CO said he was asked by the GOC to give the report based on the CG’s personal observation. The General was serving nearby (Islamabad). He was contacted and told that the officer was wronged. Graciously, he agreed to see the officer and, upon first sight, exclaimed that the officer was a victim of mistaken identity. He had observed the failures in someone else. The General wrote a letter regretting the loss incurred by the officer, stamped his signature, and sent it.

Next stop was the Military Secretary’s Branch, which initially called it unprecedented but then relented. The ACR would not be removed, but the officer would be given another chance for review. He came up in the Board, was discussed, and not recommended.

DESTINY and EMPATHY join hands.

We were scheduled to proceed to Lahore for the induction of doctors. The night before the interview days, there was the Walima of the late Gen Majeed Malik’s grandson, and I was invited. I requested my DG if I could join early in the morning. He nodded. I booked myself on the morning flight. Fortunately, the flight was canceled due to inclement weather and rescheduled for the evening. Instead of sitting at home, I went to the office. Suddenly, the intercom chimed—it was Adjutant General Pak Army, Gen Faiz Jilani. In his typical warm and kind way, he asked, "Bhai G, weren’t you supposed to be in Lahore?" I explained the situation, and suddenly there was a flash in my brain. "Sir, isn’t it ratification day for promotion to LTC?" He confirmed and asked why I was interested. I told him about the officer. "You mean that case of mistaken identity?" he asked. "Yes, sir," I replied. "Ok, bring him down."

Jubilant, I called the officer and we headed to the AG’s Office. There we found the AG in his element. He questioned the officer, "Whom did you elbow? Whose foot did you trample? Mistaken identity? Baloney. I have commanded battalions, brigades, divisions, and a corps. I knew the name of every officer under my command and recognized them all by face. How can a General Officer write a thing like that? I am certain your Director managed it for you. Your Director is very dear to me, but if you want help, the truth can facilitate it."

By now, the officer was about to break down. He was ‘relieved’ and I too got up to leave but was told to sit down. The AG then said to me, "What do you say?" Thoroughly embarrassed, I admitted that I shouldn’t have spoken and brought the officer there. He reassured me, saying it was deliberate. He didn’t want to give the officer hope for just an hour or two because if he didn’t make it, he would be broken. He would talk to the Chief. He picked up the intercom, connected to the Military Secretary, and said, "Remember that case of mistaken identity? I am going to open it with the President, and you will speak merit only."

He went to the President’s Camp Office, called me after an hour or so, and said, "Bhai G, congratulations, your horse has made it. Bring him down to my office exactly fifteen minutes from now." I summoned the officer, congratulated him (he almost dropped dead), and led him to AG’s office. The AG was waiting by the door with a plate of Gulab-Jamans in hand. He made the newly approved officer eat one, planted a fatherly kiss on his neck, and told him to go congratulate his family and friends. He added, "By the way, ask your Director why I did what I did to you two hours back."

Now, there is the hand of destiny and the grab of empathy. Isn’t it?

The battle was still not over as the MS Branch was not willing to give him command of a battalion since his course mates were already Brigadiers or on the verge. But he did get the command in the war zone, earning consecutive outstanding reports. By the time he completed his command, he was due for retirement. Retirement orders were issued, and he was posted to a Division HQ. His unit was selected for a UN Mission due to excellent war performance. He was recalled, put in command, and took his unit on a peace mission.

The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said:

عن عبد الله بن عمرو رضي الله عنهما أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال:
«
الرَّاحِمُونَ يَرْحَمُهمُ الرَّحمنُ، ارحَمُوا أهلَ الأرضِ يَرْحْمْكُم مَن في السّماء»


“Those who show mercy to others will be shown mercy by the Most Merciful. Be merciful to those on the earth, and the One above the heavens will have mercy upon you.”



In remembrance of empathy, may we always strive to be the ones who deliver kindness, forever staying in the hearts of those we touch.



AKHTAR N JANJUA

No comments: